Raising Blondes with Redhead Attitude

Raising Blondes with Redhead Attitude

Monday, September 21, 2015

Three types for Halloween costumes that still rock but don't rob the bank

I know it is still September, but Halloween for our family is a BIG deal. Plus I am not a huge store costume person, so we plan early. I thought I would share some of my thrifty ways to make awesome costumes with out spending a small fortune.

1) Reuse or Re purpose
One of my go to's for costumes of any kind is to use what I already have. You can come up with a lot of fun ideas this way. My all time favorite is when Jozy was a little angry bird.

 I actually stumbled across this idea on Pinterest. I wish I knew exactly who came up with it so I could give them credit, but it was a few years back. Anyway, we already owned the shirt, tutu, and tights. The hat we bought on clearance at target for $5 and put all together you get the cutest angry bird. She got the best compliments that year.
That same year, Ladybug wanted to be a witch. We searched through the house to find something that would work perfect. Again with her we only needed to buy a cute witch hat. 
One of the best things about this option is that all the items are reusable. The girls wore all the piece through out the rest of the year (except the witch hat which is now decoration.)

Another example are these super cute super hero costumes. We scored the shirts on super sale the Halloween before, and just added matching tutus. The girls LOVED these outfits and had so much fun with their new found powers. 

2) Shop sales, garage sales, and consignment.......
This shouldn't be new to most people. If you are on a budget or simply don't want to spend a fortune on a one day thing, then shop smart. Jozy's first Halloween the girls went as the Wicked witch and a flying monkey. 
 Jozy's costume on got at Old Navy on sale a week before Halloween and the wings were from the Dollar tree. Ladybug's witch outfit was actually bought at a consignment sale during the summer. It was big on her so we took it in a little, but the girls still use it as a dress up dress. So win win!

3) Make it yourself
Now a days there are tons and tons of tutorials on DIY costumes. So look around and find something you like. Its not hard to go from there to finding an easy tutorial. Last year the girls wanted to be a Fall fairy and an Alacorn horse. Finding these costumes was nearly impossible, so I decided to make them myself. 
 I made the tutus with tulle I had on hand already and then we added glow sticks to the tutus. The glow sticks made for an easy way to see the girls while trick or treating. Then we just added some fun details. I am not a crocheter so we bought Ladybug's unicorn hat but it could also be easily made.

I hope these tips are helpful and that you get some wonderful ideas. I can't wait to do tutorials on the girls costumes this year. I am already using these to put together three great costumes. And as a bonus Hubbins and I will be joining in on the fun too! I can't to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment